26 Aug DON’T JUST EXERCISE… EXTEND YOUR LIFE AND WHITTLE YOUR WASTE BY BEING ACTIVE EVERY DAY!
Do youexercise regularly but still struggle with your weight? Going to the gym regularly does not mean you can sit the rest of the time if you want to be fit and healthy. Not only is sitting too much bad for your waistline, it also significantly increases your risk for diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and premature death. If people sat 3 hours less every day they would increase their life expectancy by 2 years!
I see clients all of the time who can’t understand why they are struggling with their weight when they eat healthfully and exercise regularly. The reason is too much time sitting.Obese people sit 2.5 hours a day more than thin people on average. So, what can you do to fix this?
- If you have a desk job get up at least once every hour to go to the water cooler, bathroom, or just take a lap.
- Try to take work breaks outside. Bring your sneakers and go on walks any time you can squeeze it in, even if it’s just for 5 or 10 minutes. Not only is it good for your health and weight but it will help you to distress and recharge.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- TiVo your favorite shows and then watch them on a treadmill or while doing floor exercises. At the very least, get up and move around on commercials.
- When you do go to the gym to workout, make sure to maximize your time. Sitting on a machine at the lowest level, or leaning on handle bars and letting the machine work for you so the machine says you burned x amount of calories, is a waste of time. You’re only cheating yourself. When you exercise push yourself so that you see the results you want.
- Reduce television to a maximum of 1 hour per day.
- Walk to do errands rather than drive any time it’s possible.
- Walk and talk. We all have cell phones. Let’s put them to good use!
- Aim for 10,000 steps a day. Buy a pedometer or one of the new devices that track movement like Fitbit Inc., Jawbone and NikeNKE -1.91%.
- Rather than dinner and a movie on nights out, try bowling, dancing, or roller skating with friends.
- For date night, take a salsa or swing dancing class!
- For weekend fun go hiking, go to the park and fly a kite, play tennis, try paddle boarding, or go swimming.
- If you’re a golfer, walk the course and carry your own clubs.
- Take active vacations that include snow, water sports, or hiking.
- When you’re cleaning, up the momentum!
- Make every movement count.
Exercise is a natural mood booster, energizer, calorie burner, bone strengthener, disease preventer and life extender! Don’t over think it, just sit less and move more!